Gerald J. Ramiza
Partner - Oakland
Jerry Ramiza's practice emphasizes real estate transactional, land use, and public/private partnership development matters.
Real Estate/Land Use/Public Private Partnerships
Mr. Ramiza represents private clients and public agencies throughout California in connection with complex real estate and land use matters and transactions. Mr. Ramiza’s work includes forward planning, assisting with development, land use, entitlement, design review, and permitting processes, environmental review, and CEQA/NEPA compliance. Mr. Ramiza routinely handles negotiation and documentation of purchase, sale, easement, lease and financing transactions; asset management (including loan administration, property management and landlord/tenant matters); negotiation and drafting of complex development agreements; foreclosures; public trust and tidelands transactions; surplus lands dispositions; workouts and secured transactions; and ancillary matters such as title insurance review, due diligence, environmental risk allocation, and hazardous materials/Brownfields matters. With over 15 years of experience in the redevelopment arena, Mr. Ramiza is assisting successor agencies throughout the state in the implementation of the redevelopment dissolution act, ABx1 26. Mr. Ramiza also advises public agency clients in connection with the ferry-system transactions, affordable housing, federal contracting/BRAC process, utilization of federal grants, lease and parking revenue financing and assessment districts.
Representative projects include:
- Alameda Theater – Negotiated and drafted agreements for development of a new multiplex cinema and integration of the new cinema with a restored historic theater. Project involved site assembly, complex easements, ground leasing, and construction and financing of a separate multi-level public parking structure.
- Alameda Bridgeside Shopping Center – Negotiated and drafted disposition and development agreement, including related property acquisition and lease termination agreements, for a new 110,000 square foot neighborhood shopping center, anchored by Nob Hill Foods grocery store.
- Concord Legacy Project – Represented the Concord Redevelopment Agency in connection with the assemblage and disposition of 17 parcels comprising 4.6 acres and development of a 250-unit apartment project located adjacent to the Concord BART station.
- Concord MetroPlex Office Project – Negotiated and drafted owner participation and public improvement agreements for a 475,000 square foot office project.
- Emeryville RCD Ambassador Project – Represented the Emeryville Redevelopment Agency in acquisition and assemblage of 5 parcels and subsequent negotiation and drafting of agreements for disposition and development of a 69-unit very low income infill multi-family project financed with a mix of HOME funds and tax credits.
- Emeryville Glashaus – Represented the City of Emeryville in connection with development of a high-density residential project, including a 50-space public parking condominium floor within an otherwise private garage.
- Pilgrim Triton Project, Foster City – Represented the City of Foster City in negotiation and drafting of a master development agreement and ancillary documents with three institutional owners/investors. The agreement provides for expansion/intensification of a previously developed approximately 20-acre site with up to 296,000 square feet of commercial/industrial office use and up to 730 residential units, including affordable housing.
- Gilead Campus – Represented City of Foster City in negotiation of development agreement and related entitlements for construction of 1,000.000 square feet of additional office/lab space within an existing 500,000 square foot headquarters campus.
- Mare Island Vallejo - Represented City of Vallejo on early transfer acquisition, clean-up and subsequent disposition of over 700 acres of Mare Island property, including negotiation of development and disposition agreements with Lennar Mare Island and transfer and remediation agreements with the U.S. Department of the Navy, State of California State Lands Commission, and Department of Toxic Substances Control.
- The Crossing Project/San Bruno - Represented City of San Bruno in negotiation and drafting of development and owner participation agreements for phased mixed-use development of 20-acre Crossing Project site at I-380 and El Camino with approximately 1,063 residential rental and for-sale units, including 530 affordable housing units, senior housing, hotel uses, restaurant space, and neighborhood serving retail.
- Represented City of Alameda in the transfer of the Oakland/Alameda and Alameda/San Francisco Ferry Systems to the San Francisco Bay Area Water Emergency Transportation Authority. Project included negotiation and drafting of agreements to effect the transfer of ferry systems assets, allocation of responsibility for ongoing capital projects, establishment of ferry service levels, and allocation and assignment of BCDC permit rights and obligations.
- Represented developer in the land use entitlement process for a 20-unit San Francisco condominium project.
- Represented owner/seller in connection with sale of 66,000 sq ft medical office building project.
- Represented developer with the acquisition, financing, and redevelopment of an approximately 12,000-square foot office building in San Francisco.
- Represented owner/investor in connection with $19 million refinancing of a medical office building project in San Francisco.
- Successor Agency Training: ABx1 26 Implementation, California Redevelopment Association Redevelopment Seminar, March 2012
- Powers of Redevelopment, California Redevelopment Association Redevelopment Seminar, April 2008
- Critical Elements of the DDA/OPA, California Redevelopment Association Redevelopment Institute, July 2006 & July 2007
- Redevelopment in California, 2009
Solano Press (4th ed. 2009)