J. Leah Castella
Partner - Oakland
Ms. Castella specializes in public law litigation at both the trial court and appellate court levels, and has extensive experience litigating cases on behalf of public and private entities. Her areas of specialization include Proposition 218, inverse condemnation and takings, environmental law, eminent domain, writs and appeals, and American Indian law. When litigation looms, Ms. Castella counsels her clients to consider creative, cost effective solutions to potential disputes. In the event that litigation ensues, Ms. Castella is an aggressive advocate with an exemplary track record of success at the demurrer, summary judgment, and appeal stages.
In addition to her litigation practice, Ms. Castella is an expert on issues related to electronic discovery and document retention, and she assists clients with the preparation of document retention, public records act, and litigation management policies.
Ms. Castella is an active member of several non-profit organizations. She is the Board Chair of the Women's Debate Institute, which she helped found. She is also on the Board of Directors of the Bay Area Urban Debate League, and she coaches the Jessup Public International Law Moot Court team at the UC Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law.
- Reynolds v. City of Calistoga
- Canon Manor v. City of Rohnert Park
- Desert Development v. Emeryville Redevelopment Agency
- Anti-SLAPP and Section 1021.5 Motions, Webinar, July 18, 2013
- Statewide AB 1234 Educational Training, April 2012
- California Discovery Act: Beware the Myth of the Delete Button, League of California Cities City Attorney's Conference, Spring 2010
- Court Clarifies Meaning of a Mitigation Fee Act "Exaction", 03.01.2011
March 2011 Public Law Update
- Conditioning Conversions: Mobile Home Parks, the Map Act, and El Dorado v. City of Palm Springs, Summer 2009
Public Law Journal, Vol 32, No. 3
- Follow the Money and Fight Terrorism: The USA Patriot Act Takes Shape, November 2002
Bank & Lender Liability, Vol. 8, Issue 13
- Womens eNews, 21 Leaders for the 21st Century - 2013
- Burton Award for Excellence in Legal Writing - 2013