Janet Cory Sommer
Partner - Silicon Valley
Janet Sommer is a partner in the law firm of Burke, Williams & Sorensen. She was previously a partner at Kay & Stevens. Ms. Sommer focuses on labor relations, employment, education, and other public law matters. She has worked in California public sector law and policy since 1984. Ms. Sommer worked with the California Legislature as Chief Consultant to the Assembly Education Committee. Before turning her focus to labor, employment, and education, Ms. Sommer represented public sector and political clients in education, election, and political matters.
Ms. Sommer acts as a negotiator and represents local agencies on a variety of employment, labor relations, education, and other public law issues.
Ms. Sommer also conducts trainings in labor relations, employee evaluation and discipline, sexual harassment, and other public sector employment issues. She has presented trainings for the National Public Employers Labor Relations Association (NPELRA), the California Public Employers Labor Relations Association (CALPELRA), the Center for Collaborative Solutions (CCS), the Association of California School Administrators (ACSA), the School Employers Association (SEA), and for many public agency clients. Ms. Sommer is a contributing author of Legal Trends.
- Pension Reform Act and Collective Bargaining, CASBO Professional Development Institute, February 15, 2013
- Hot Topics, ACSA Symposium for Negotiators, January 23, 2013
- Burke Attorneys Presented at CALPELRA's 2012 Annual Training Conference, Monterey Conference Center, December 5 - 6, 2012
- Court of Appeal Decision Limits Use of Categorical Temporary Teacher Classification; Layoff Procedures May Be Required to Release Categorically Funded Teachers, March 2012
March 2012 Education Law Alert
- Governor Signs AB 646: Fact-Finding Becomes Mandatory Under MMBA, 10.01.2011
October 2011 Public Law Update