Kelly A. Trainer
Partner - Orange County
Kelly Trainer is a partner in the firm's Orange County office. Ms. Trainer represents public and private sector clients in labor and employment law matters.
Ms. Trainer has represented and advised employers on matters involving numerous federal and state law claims, including discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, wage and hour, freedom of speech and association, HIPAA, and privacy. In addition, Ms. Trainer's practice includes representation of public employers in areas unique to public employment such as issues involving the Meyers-Milias-Brown Act, the Public Safety Officers Procedural Bill of Rights, the Firefighters Procedural Bill of Rights, and disciplinary procedures. Ms. Trainer has acted as lead negotiator during labor negotiations, and has represented agencies in PERB proceedings.
Ms. Trainer has served as a neutral investigator for internal investigations of employment complaints involving discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and workplace misconduct. She also conducts a variety of seminars and workplace trainings for employees on matters such as harassment prevention, disability discrimination, discipline and termination, and leaves of absence. In addition, Ms. Trainer has an extensive counseling practice, concentrating on preventive measures of employment and labor law. In this regard, her practice has focused on revising personnel rules and personnel ordinances, updating specific policies, and advising human resources directors on the handling of a variety of employment matters.
While in law school, Ms. Trainer served as a staff writer and later as the comment editor for The Transnational Lawyer. She authored a student comment entitled, "The Vienna Convention on Consular Rights in the United States Courts," 13 Transnational Lawyer 227 (2000).
Ms. Trainer is admitted to practice in both California and Texas.
- To Tweet or Not To Tweet: Social Media Update, 2013 Western Region IPMA Annual Training Conference, May 2, 2013
- Predict a Better Future: Dealing with Difficult Employees, 2013 Western Region IPMA Annual Training Conference, May 1, 2013
- Creating Effective Documentation, California Joint Powers Insurance Authority's Human Resources Academy, April 23, 2013
- SB 1021: More Changes Required for Retired Annuitant Contracts, July 2012
Employment Law Update
- The Top 10 Things that Employers Need to Know About the New FMLA Regulations, 02.01.2009
February 2009 Public Law Update
- Mandatory Supervisory Harassment Training: Are You In Compliance Yet?, 01.01.2008
January 2008 Public Law Update
- Witkin Award for Academic Excellence in Gender and the Law - 2013