Melissa M. Cowan
Partner - Los Angeles
Melissa Cowan is a partner with Burke, Williams & Sorensen in its Los Angeles office. Her diverse practice encompasses complex commercial litigation on behalf of life, health and disability insurers, as well as defense of agents/brokers and religious organizations. Her areas of expertise include ERISA, bad faith, and fraud. She has successfully represented clients in federal and state courts at both the trial and appellate levels, including obtaining a jury award of punitive damages against a fraudulent insured.
Ms. Cowan frequently lectures at national and regional conferences on topics affecting first party insurers, including ERISA, fraud, extra-contractual damage claims, rescission, and claims handling practices.
- Whinery v. Life Insurance Company of North America
- Bates v. Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company
- Schwartz v. Life Insurance Company of North America
- Disability Insurance Law Update, The Defense Research Institute's Annual Life, Health, Disability and ERISA Seminar, April 25, 2013
- Death, Lies and Videotape: Disability and Life Update 2012, Midwest Claim Conference, May 17, 2012
- The Challenges that Haunt Accidental Death Claims, Midwest Claim Conference, May 17, 2012
- Super Lawyers Rising Star - 2008