- T: +1 213.236.0600
- D: +1 213.236.2837
- F: +1 213.236.2700
Al Ceran has devoted years in the practice of law to complex civil litigation. Al has tried in excess of 35 cases, many of them to juries, and handled numerous appeals. Al is equally comfortable in state and federal court.
Al graduated from UCLA School of Law, where he served as Chief Article Editor of the UCLA Law Review. Immediately after graduation, he clerked for the Honorable John F. Gerry, United States District Judge for the District of New Jersey. Upon his return to Los Angeles, Al entered private practice.
Al is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates and has extensive trial experience. He has handled litigation matters in California and throughout the United States in a variety of substantive areas, including corporate governance, real estate, trade secrets, environmental, antitrust, unfair competition, trademark, employment, contracts, securities, and shareholder derivative actions.
In recent years, Al prevailed in two separate bench trials involving complex contractual disputes, served as lead counsel in a class action alleged violations of California Penal Code § 632.7, defended a manufacturer in a multi-party CERCLA action, tried a trade secrets claim to verdict, arbitrated a claim for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty on behalf of a securities dealer, tried a shareholder derivative action, completed a bench trial in an action to cancel an oil and gas lease, served as co-counsel to a major retailer in several unfair competition class actions in the Central District of California, served as co-counsel to an international energy trader in various consolidated antitrust class actions pending in the Southern District of California, litigated a series of trade secret actions on behalf of a publicly-traded staffing company and defended an Internet entrepreneur in a defamation action arising from its activities on the internet.
Al also has extensive experience in the area of alternative dispute resolution and has himself served as a volunteer settlement officer for the Los Angeles Superior Court.
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, 1979
- B.A., magna cum laude, with Distinction in Political Science, Boston University, 1976
- State Bar of California
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Phi Beta Kappa