- T: +1 415.655.8100
- D: +1 415.655.8112
- F: +1 415.655.8099
Deborah L. Kartiganer is a partner in the firm’s San Francisco office. A member of the firm’s Real Estate & Business Law Practice Group, Debbie focuses her practice on development and entitlements work and land use law.
Debbie’s areas of expertise include: the land use administrative approval process; development of retail, housing, and office projects; public/private partnerships; compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), including the preparation of negative declarations and environmental impact reports; historic resources; compliance with the Subdivision Map Act and the Coastal Act; and the disposition and development of property formerly under the jurisdiction of California’s now-dissolved redevelopment agencies. Debbie’s clients include large corporations, retailers, governmental entities, startup companies, health care corporations, nonprofit organizations, and individuals.
- Represented an eminent local botanical garden society in the development of a multimillion-dollar, LEED-certified nursery and center for sustainable gardening through a public/private partnership with a Bay Area city.
- Ongoing representation of a Bay Area city in connection with a variety of land use matters, including the proposed development of over seven acres of its downtown area.
- Represented a large grocery store chain and a nationwide home improvement retailer in obtaining land use approvals for remodels, expansions and new stores in numerous California cities.
- Ongoing representation of a Bay Area city in connection with a public-private partnership to develop 240 acres of land with up to nine million square feet of mixed uses.
- Represent a residential developer in navigating the CEQA process and obtaining local permits for a mixed-use development in the Bay Area.
- Represented a developer in the land use approval process for the redevelopment of a popular waterfront tourist neighborhood in the Bay Area.
- Assisted a residential developer in documenting a CEQA exemption and obtaining approvals for a mixed-use senior housing development in the Bay Area.
- Represented the interests of business community members with respect to proposed new general plans and specific plans for various California cities.
- Represented a national health care provider with land use due diligence and entitlements issues in connection with its establishment of a new medical office building in the Bay Area.
- Represented a Bay Area developer with respect to title matters, “legacy” redevelopment issues, and City approvals related to its sale of a large regional shopping center.
- Conducted land use due diligence regarding, and assisted with the entitlements strategy for, the renewal of a popular Bay Area entertainment venue.
- Represented a well-known Bay Area cemetery with respect to diverse land use and transactional real estate matters, including eminent domain disputes and land acquisitions.
- Assisted coastal property owners in obtaining a California Appellate Court judgment compelling the issuance of unconditional certificates of compliance under the Subdivision Map Act.
- Represented a major international data and networking company in obtaining land use approvals for a headquarters campus in the Bay Area.
- Represented several individuals before the California Coastal Commission in connection with proposed developments, “sea walls,” and subdivisions.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1997
- B.A., Humanities Yale University, 1992
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of California - Real Property Law Section
- State Bar of California, Environmental Law Section