- T: +1 949.863.3363
- D: +1 714.640.3642
- F: +1 949.863.3350
Meghan Canty Murphey practices insolvency law, business litigation, and intellectual property litigation. Meghan has extensive experience at all stages of litigation, including trials, in both state and federal courts.
Meghan primarily represents the interests of financial institutions, creditors, buyers, sellers, and landlords, in a variety of litigation and bankruptcy proceedings and in connection with collateral foreclosures, evictions, collections, loan workouts, and loan documentation. She specializes in creditors’ rights and has worked successfully to obtain favorable results for lenders both in and out of court.
Meghan has handled a variety of cases, including contract disputes, real estate litigation, mechanics’ lien and stop notice claims, unlawful detainer actions, cases alleging lender liability and sham guaranty defenses, creditor suits, collection actions, and bankruptcy disputes. Meghan’s bankruptcy court experience includes representation of creditors in contested confirmation, valuation, asset sale, and relief from stay proceedings, as well as adversary proceedings, including objection to discharge, non-dischargeability, and fraudulent transfer actions.
Meghan also specializes in business and intellectual property disputes. She regularly litigates trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, and patents, both seeking enforcement of those rights and defending against claims of infringement. Meghan also litigates claims for misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair business practices, interference with business relations, and breach of contract.
Meghan also has extensive appellate experience, representing clients in front of the Ninth Circuit and Federal Circuit and in various California state courts of appeal. She has obtained favorable results for her clients on appeal, including in two cases that resulted in published, precedential opinions: (1) Zachary v. California Bank & Trust, 811 F.3d 1191 (9th Cir. 2016); and (2) Internet Patents Corp. v. Active Network, Inc., 790 F.3d 1343 (Fed. Cir. 2015).
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, 2008
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 2004
- State Bar of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- Orange County Bankruptcy Forum, Board Member
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- Selected to Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2017-2018