Gregory Thomas is a partner at Burke, Williams & Sorensen, LLP who litigates complex cases in the following areas: government tort liability, civil rights, constitutional law, jail conditions of confinement, wrongful arrest, excessive force, catastrophic personal injury an wrongful death, products liability, writs and appeals, moving and storage claims and professional liability.
Greg has focused on litigation since becoming a member of the State Bar of California in 2005. He is admitted to practice before all the courts of the State of California, all United States District Courts in California and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Greg has extensive experience in all phases of civil litigation from pre-litigation negotiations to pleadings, law and motion, discovery, alternative dispute resolution, jury trials to verdict, writs and appeals, and enforcement of judgments and settlements.
During law school, Greg served as a Judicial Extern for Justice Patricia D. Benke, California Court of Appeal, Fourth Appellate District, Division One and for Judge J. Richard Haden (Ret.), Superior Court of California, County of San Diego. He was also a member of the University of San Diego’s National Moot Court Team and Moot Court Executive Board.
From 1997 to 2002, Greg served as an officer in the United States Navy aboard surface combatant ships actively deployed to areas ranging from the Persian Gulf to the Sea of Japan.
- Recently obtained summary judgment in police excessive force case.
- Recently obtained summary judgment in case involving various constitutional claims against a Sheriff’s Department after pre-trial detainee ingested drugs and died.
- Obtained defense verdict after complex six-week jury trial involving fraud, conversion, professional negligence and negligence.
- Obtained summary adjudication of indemnitor’s present contractual duty to defend indemnitee against claims prior to factual adjudication of claims on the merits.
- Successfully responded to multiple Ninth Circuit appeals resulting in affirmance of underlying motions to dismiss.
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law, 2005
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania, 1997
- State Bar of California
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- Alameda County Bar Association
- Northern California Association of Defense Counsel