- T: +1 213.236.0600
- D: +1 213.236.2736
- F: +1 213.236.2700
Joseph Montes serves as the City Attorney for the City of Alhambra, General Counsel to the Successor Agency for the Alhambra Redevelopment Agency, City Attorney for the City of Santa Clarita, General Counsel to the Successor Agency for the Santa Clarita Redevelopment Agency, and Assistant City Attorney for the City of Rosemead. In those capacities, Joseph has provided advice and opinions on issues involving public contracts, privatization, planning, zoning, redevelopment, elections, employment, constitutional rights, conflicts of interest, and telecommunications issues. He has also assisted public entities with issues concerning the Brown Act, the Subdivision Map Act, Mello-Roos Community Facilities District and Improvement Bond Act of 1915 financing, the Government Tort Claims Act, the Public Records Act, Proposition 218, the Political Reform Act, the California Voting Rights Act, and CEQA. He has drafted contracts, resolutions, ordinances, development agreements, and employee policies.
Joseph’s litigation experience has primarily involved representation of municipal entities in state and federal court. He has been involved in public works contract disputes, code enforcement, administrative writ proceedings, transient occupancy tax collection actions, Civil Rights abuse cases, police excessive force cases, California Government Tort Claims Act matters, assessment district foreclosures, and flood damage actions.
In terms of land use and redevelopment, Joseph’s experience includes acquisition of land through eminent domain proceedings, negotiations for redevelopment projects and drafting of owner participation agreements and development agreements.
In law school, Joseph was a staff writer for the Loyola of Los Angeles Entertainment Law Journal (1992-1993) and the Chief Note and Comment Editor (1993-1994), and received an American Juris Prudence Book Award for Trial Advocacy.
Joseph ascribes to the philosophy, “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” (Arthur Ashe).
- J.D., Loyola Law School Los Angeles, 1994
- B.A., magna cum laude, Communication in Television Production, Santa Clara University, 1990
- State Bar of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- City Attorneys Association for Los Angeles County, past President
- League of California Cities, City Attorneys Department Nominating Committee
- League of California Cities, Attorney Development and Succession Committee
- League of California Cities, Past Revenue and Taxation Policy Committee Member
- League of California Cities, City Attorneys Department, Public Records Act Committee
- Selected to Southern California Super Lawyers, 2011 and 2012 and Southern California Rising Stars 2005-2007