- T: +1 213.236.0600
- D: +1 213.236.2811
- F: +1 213.236.2700
Cheryl Johnson-Hartwell has successfully litigated over 700 disputes to conclusion. She regularly obtains favorable results in federal and state court, with arbitration panels, and before federal and state administrative agencies.
She also counsels employers on matters involving hiring, discipline and termination, and workplace policies. Her clients include large-format retail, security services, entertainment, manufacturing, furniture retail, and public-sector employers.
Cheryl also represents companies in commercial litigation involving breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and other disputes. This experience includes defending statutory claims filed under state and federal debt collection practices statutes.
Cheryl also has experience in civil rights litigation. She has developed a special niche defending public and private entities relating to alleged barriers to accessibility for members of the disabled community.
Cheryl also advises clients on commercial contractual relationships and intellectual property matters. As part of this work, she prosecutes and defends trademark applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, advises entertainment industry clients on the branding and packaging of their products, and protecting the intellectual property capital those products have obtained.
Cheryl provides clients with proactive strategies to manage litigation risk. She endeavors to obtain an early and cost-effective resolution for disputes and typically resolves them at or before the summary judgment phase. In those cases that proceed further, she has a record of obtaining favorable results for her clients.
- Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 1277, Teamsters, Local 150 v. SunLine Transit Agency (Guevara), disciplinary appeal termination. Opposing Counsel: William J. Flynn. Termination upheld on 01/14/19.
- Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 1277, Teamsters, Local 150 v. SunLine Transit Agency (Lavoie), Union’s remedy appeal. Opposing Counsel: William J. Flynn. Appeal denied on 01/25/19.
- Sample v. Inter-Con Security Systems, Inc., binding arbitration before JAMS. Opposing counsel: Alfred J. Verdi. Award in favor of Inter-Con on 01/25/18.
- Nelson v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., et al., LA Superior Court, Case No. BC632911. Opposing counsel: Geoff Lyon. Summary Judgment on 12/06/17.
- Ochoa v. Citiy of Long Beach, et al., U.S. District Court, Central District of California, Case No. 2:14-cv-04307-DSF-FFM. Opposing counsel: Disability Rights Advocates, Disability Rights Legal Center and Goldstein, Borgen, Dardarian & Ho. Settlement of class action approved on 10/17/17.
- Mauran v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., U.S. District Court, Central District of California, Case No. 2:16-cv-07808-RGK-JC. Opposing counsel: Amir Mostafavi. Summary Judgment on 09/25/17.
- Hemet City Firefighters Local 2342 v. City of Hemet, disciplinary appeal arbitration. Opposing counsel: Michael Schwartz. Termination upheld on 09/05/17.
- Tedrick v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., LA Superior Court, Case No. BC 58996. Opposing counsel: Irving Meyer and Carney Shegarian. Defense verdict on 05/19/17.
- Segovia v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., LA Superior Court, Case No. BC612955. Opposing counsel: Jay Rothman and Ken Myers. Summary Judgment on 05/02/17.
- Borgetti v. SunLine Transit Agency, Riverside Superior Court, Case No. PSC1600153. Opposing counsel: Timothy J. Donahue. Dismissal after successful demurrer on 04/04/17.
- Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 1277, Teamsters, Local 150 v. SunLine Transit Agency (Borgetti), disciplinary appeal termination. Opposing Counsel: William J. Flynn. Termination upheld on 09/15/16.
- J.D., Vanderbilt Law School , 1997
- B.A., magna cum laude, Texas Christian University , 1993
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- BTI Client Service All-Star, 2016
- Selected to the Southern California Rising Stars, 2009 - 2011