DIVERSITY MATTERS AT BURKE, WILLIAMS & SORENSEN, LLP . . .
. . . and we practice what we preach.
Burke is committed to creating a workforce that reflects the diversity values shared in the communities where we practice and by the clients we serve. Our goal of complete diversity in recruiting, hiring, training, mentoring and advancement is not only the right path to pursue, but it makes us better lawyers. Understanding the clients we serve and their perspectives, and the perspectives of those served by our clients, makes us uniquely qualified to provide a higher quality of legal services.
“Diversity: The art of thinking independently together.” Malcolm Forbes
We strongly adhere to the belief that our clients and lawyers benefit from a workforce that fully reflects the rich variety of race, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and ethnicity existing today in the communities we serve.
Burke is proud to share its track record on diversity:
- 2016: Burke has 21 equity partners, 5 of whom are women (28.6% vs. 18.0% in National Association of Women Lawyers study/survey).
- 2016: Burke is 43.4% women/minority owned.
- In the previous 4 years, the highest compensated equity partner has been a woman.
- In Year 2015, 2 of the highest 6 compensated equity partners were women.
- In Year 2014, 2 of the highest 4 compensated equity partners were women.
- In Year 2016, the firm has 53 full-time non-equity partners, 21 of whom are women (40.0% vs. 28.0% in study).
- In the previous 4 years, 3 of the 5 attorneys who were elevated to equity partner were women (60.0%).
- In the previous 6 years, 4 of the 11 attorneys who were elevated to equity partner were women (36.4%).
- In Year 2016, the four-person management committee has one woman and two minority members.
- In Year 2016, the five-person personnel committee has two women members and is chaired by a minority.
- Collectively, women and minority attorney and staff personnel make up 69% of the firm’s population.
Our efforts at maintaining our well-earned reputation as law firm that practices what it preaches include:
- Participation in the National Association of Women Lawyers
- Participation in the California Women Lawyers Association
- Participation in the National Association of Women in Construction
- Participation in the Commercial Real Estate Women, San Francisco
- Orange County Hispanic Bar Association
- National Hispanic Bar Association
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association