- T: +1 951.788.0100
- D: +1 951.801.6611
- F: +1 951.788.5785
Algeria Ford is a member of the Public Law, Labor and Employment, and Education practice groups. Al’s practice includes civil rights and tort litigation, code enforcement and marijuana litigation, advising and representing employers on discipline issues and during grievance procedures, drafting ordinances, and providing general advice to department heads, elected officials, and private employers. Al also serves as special counsel for the Hesperia Unified School District, the Val Verde Unified School District, and Fritts Ford Riverside.
Prior to joining the firm, Al represented public sector clients while employed with the San Bernardino Office of County Counsel as a member of both the litigation and employment groups. As a member of the Office’s litigation group he defended County departments and employees in numerous state and federal court cases. In that capacity Al obtained successful results on various motions and as counsel in jury trials. As a member of the Office’s employment group, he served as primary employment counsel for the County’s Sheriff Department, assisted in drafting policies and rules, regularly advised on POBR issues, Internal Affairs Investigations and employment disputes, and represented the County before the Civil Service Commission and during labor negotiations. In addition, Al advised the Sheriff Department during federal investigations.
An experienced litigator, Al previously worked as a Deputy District Attorney with the Orange County District Attorney’s Office, where he prosecuted multiple cases to jury verdict. Prior to that he worked for the Louisville Metro Public Defender’s Office, obtaining successful results for clients at hearings and jury trial.
During law School, Al was the Editor-in-Chief of two of the school’s three legal journals, was a member of the Moot Court Board, and served on the school’s National Trial and National Environmental Moot Court Teams. In addition, he won the School’s prestigious oral advocacy competition during his second year of law school and received honors for obtaining the highest grade in Advanced Constitutional Law, Advanced Trial Practice, and Criminal Procedure.
- Conwell v. County of San Bernardino, et al. Lead trial counsel in jury trial, resulting in defense verdict, in case involving alleged excessive force resulting in traumatic brain injury.
- Mackey v. County of San Bernardino, et al. Lead trial counsel in jury trial, resulting in defense verdict, in case involving police shooting of a murder suspect.
- Rogoff v. County of San Bernardino, et al. Second Chair in jury trial, resulting in defense verdict, in case involving alleged excessive force by a patrol officer responding to a 911 call.
- Birdt v. San Bernardino Sheriffs’ Department, et al. Obtained Summary Judgment in a Second Amendment case challenging a Sheriff’s discretion to deny a Concealed Carry permit.
- Madrigal, et al v. United States of America, et al. Obtained Judgment on the Pleadings in a case involving alleged constitutional violations during prior state civil forfeiture action.
- Perez v. County of San Bernardino, et al. Obtained dismissal in a case challenging the constitutionality of a City’s gang injunction.
- Simon v. James Henning, et al. Obtained Summary Judgment in a First Amendment case alleging violation of freedom of religion.
- Ayala v. San Bernardino Sheriffs’ Department. Obtained dismissal in a case where officers arrested a plaintiff on a stale restraining order.
- Bond v. Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, et al. Wrote Ninth Circuit Appeal brief challenging District Court’s immunity analysis in a deliberate indifference case against hospital.
- J.D., University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law, 2010
- M.S., University of Maryland University College, 2007
- B.S., Drexel University, 2003
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Kentucky
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky